When our two teenagers were still living at home, we took them for a meal at an Indian restaurant for a treat one night. After placing our order and waiting for the food to arrive, I asked our family to come up with the ten best pieces of advice for anyone prepared to listen. I wrote on a serviette the following suggestions as we went around the table. This is what we came up with:
List of 10 of the greatest pieces of advice:
1. Breathe into your stomach. (Breath of Life)
2. Live in Harmony (Om Shanti – Everything Peace)
3. Be open to new ideas and people.
4. Make the most of the Now (Staying in the Moment)
5. Love Yourself
6. Meditate and do everything in life with a focus.
7. Remember God is within everyone, so love them all.
8. Be selfless.
9. You are what you eat.
10. Remember to do no harm.
Reading them all these years later, I am still amazed at the insightful words of wisdom we were capable of thinking up on short notice.
Why not try this exercise next time you are waiting for your meal to arrive? Whatever the age of present company. They might surprise you!